Residence and Entry - EU, EEA and Switzerland

Doctoral candidates who are citizens of an EU-/EEA-country or Switzerland do not need a visa or residence permit to enter and live in Austria. A valid passport, sufficient financial means as well as a valid health insurance are needed to enter Austria. If you plan to stay longer than three months in Austria, then you need to register with the residence authority within the first four months. This confirmation does not need to be renewed.

Please be aware that non-compliance with this regulation may be fined with up to 250 euros!

The documents needed for this registration are listed here.

Contact Point

If you live in Vienna then you need to register here:

Referat "EWR"
Magistratsabteilung 35
Arndtstrasse 65-67, Stiege 1, 1st floor
1120 Vienna